Wednesday, August 12, 2015

If A Train Leaves Boston At 60 mph....Oh I Give Up!

I was terrible at math when I was a kid. I was ok at the basics: Add, subtract and multiply. Division was tougher, and I absolutely failed at algebra. What's weird is that as an adult, I get it all now. Even algebra is fairly easy for me these days. Maybe my folks were right and I just wasn't paying attention in class, who knows?  Anyway if you've spent your whole life hating math, you probably don't want your kids to be cursed with the same issue. So here's some advice: When they pull out their math homework, don't even try to help them! A new study by the University of Chicago found that parents who hate math shouldn't try to help their kids learn it, because they can transfer their anxiety to their kids. Kids whose parents hate math did worse in math class if their parents tried to help them study, but if their parents just kept their distance, the kids did fine in class. The researchers say, quote, "Even though their efforts can be incredibly well-intentioned, when parents are trying to help with math it can actually backfire." 

What's the one subject you just hate helping your kids with? Were your parents good at helping you with your homework? Tell me about it: john@kicks1063.com

No comments:

Post a Comment